22 June 2012

Zombies Love Music!

In just a couple of weeks, the zombie hoard of Seattle will descend upon the Fremont neighborhood with a vengeance!  Each year we don our make-up and pick out new outfits to bring the Guiness Book of World Records home once more, striving to bring thousands of zombies into one place at the same time.

There's always awesome musicians there to entertain the masses, great photo opportunities and plenty of time to get your groove on.  Our Red, White & Dead gatherings wouldn't be complete without a gigantic dance to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"!  Seattle Zombies love to shuffle to the beat!

Here's a slideshow of our "Red, White & Dead" photos from 2011:




Speaking of moving and grooving, after a month of piano lessons, (and much practice!) my fingers are just beginning to do what my brain wants them to do.  I can find many of the major chords without looking and cross my thumbs under my pinkies without much trouble (something that made my hands tingle and ache the first couple of weeks). I'm very excited about the new ways my brain is connecting to my body!

Trying something new is not easy.  The constant practice needed in order to improve our groove is frustrating at times, and there are moments we all just want to walk away.  But zombies do not relent.  We do not give up when we see something that we want.

I have a goal on my bucket list of playing fantastic jazz, dark, haunting melodies, and powerful, moving pieces that stimulate others to action.  I desire to compose my own songs with ease.  Currently I can strum some moving tunes on my guitar (you can see me on YouTube if you wish) but I want to offer more.  I would like to be able to see a piano, sit down and make beautiful music for others to enjoy.  Ultimately, I want to lead the peoples of God in glorious worship through music, the spoken words and the arts wherever I am found.  So, taking piano lessons is a natural next step.

Now, I know that these goals are fairly far away, but I am making progress.  This morning I woke up with part of a new song in my head and was able to sit down at the keyboard and not just plink individual notes.  I was able to play chords and to have a decent bass rhythm going while my right hand flew over the keys in this two-chord chorus.

So, dear ones, today I ask you what kind of music you are hungry for.  How long has it been since you picked up an instrument or stretched your vocal muscles?  What kind of music would you offer if you could play any instrument you chose?

Dear ones, many of the psalms offer praise to the Lord for the gift of music.  Participating in musical endeavors is one of the ways we get back to our humanity and remember who, and whose, we are!  God takes great delight in whatever we can offer, and the psalms tell us to make a joyful noise to the Lord.

Look, dear ones.  Psalm 150 invites us to remember what it means to be filled with the Breath of Life.  We are all invited to offer joyful songs to the Lord.  There is a reason that zombies love music.  We are remembering our Creator and the purpose for which we have been made.  Music reminds us how to be human.

Hallelujah! Praise God in his holy house of worship, 
praise him under the open skies;
Praise him for his acts of power, 
praise him for his magnificent greatness;
Praise with a blast on the trumpet,
 praise by strumming soft strings;
Praise him with castanets and dance,
 praise him with banjo and flute;
Praise him with cymbals and a big bass drum, 
praise him with fiddles and mandolin. 
Let every living, breathing creature praise God!
Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment